Ready for an easy baked pasta dinner? Chicken fajita pasta is loaded with all the flavors you love in a fajita packed into a creamy sauce and then baked super cheesy!
Make an easy tomato based enchilada sauce, add the chicken fajita ingredients, then pop under the broiler until the cheese is bubbly and browned.
What is fajita seasoning?
If you’ve never cooked with fajita seasoning you might be wondering what it is, and how it’s different from a taco seasoning.
They actually are quite similar. They nearly have the same spices:
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Chili powder
- Black pepper
But taco seasoning contains oregano and sometimes coriander. I also find taco seasoning to be a bit bolder and stronger, while fajita seasoning is warmer, more mild, and more of a seasoned flavor versus a spicy flavor.
Can you substitute taco seasoning for the fajita seasoning?
I think in certain recipes that can be used interchangeably because they are so similar, I think in this recipe you need to go with fajita seasoning.
In my opinion, if you use taco seasoning it’s going to overtake the flavor of the sauce. The fajita spices are flavorful, but they aren’t overpowering or spicy so you can create a balanced seasoned cream sauce.
You can mix up your own fajita spice blend if you want, but for this recipe I actually use 3 tablespoons from the packet of dry mix and love how easy and inexpensive it makes this recipe! This is the fajita seasoning packet I use!
I love easy pasta recipes. These types of pasta bake dinners really come in handy for saving dinner on a busy day! If you’re looking for more pasta recipes to add to your weeknight dinner rotation here are some more of my favorites!
Love the flavor of sun-dried tomatoes? This Creamy Sun-dried Tomato Pasta uses a smooth sun-dried tomato pasta sauce with basil and a bit of lemon.
Looking for more easy dinner ideas for the week? I’ve got you covered!
Chicken Parm Meatballs are one of the most popular recipes on the blog! A seasoned chicken meatball baked with your favorite pasta sauce and lots of cheese! Another chicken meatball are these Chicken Piccata Meatballs for a bright and lemony dinner.
From prep to finish this chicken fajita pasta should take you about 35 minutes. That includes prep time of boiling the pasta water and dicing the onions and peppers and shredding the rotisserie chicken!
And, the leftovers are just as good as the main dish! Heat it up, throw on some extra sour cream and some extra diced red onions and you’ve got yourself a hearty lunch or dinner the next day.
- I’ve made this recipe using red peppers and orange peppers. I think they can be used interchangeably, but I really liked the orange peppers the best!
- As mentioned above, I wouldn’t recommend substituting in taco seasoning. I think you really need to use the fajita spices for the best flavor of this dish.
- Make this extra easy by using shredded rotisserie chicken. No need to cook your own chicken, rotisserie is totally fine and makes this a quick dinner!
- I’ve always used penne pasta but you could try this with macaroni or rigatoni tool.
- Want some added crunch? Serve with your favorite tortilla chips!
- Since this is loaded with lots of fajita ingredients, I don’t think you need to serve this with any side items. If you really want something on the side, I think a light salad would be great!
If you made this recipe and enjoyed it I’d be so appreciative for a 5-star review!Print
Fajita Pasta Bake
Chicken fajita pasta combines all the savory flavors of fajitas in a cheesy pasta! Loaded with chicken, corn, beans, onions, and a homemade enchilada sauce. Baked cheesy and delicious!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6–8 servings 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: Mexican American
2 and 1/2 cups penne pasta
1 and 1/2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2oz cream cheese
1 orange pepper, diced
1/3 cup diced red onion
1/2 cup canned corn, drained
1/2 cup canned black beans, drained
3 tablespoons fajita seasoning
3 oz tomato paste
1 and 1/4 cup chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
2 cups sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
Sour cream for garnishing
1. Bring a salted pot of water to boil and cook the penne pasta according to box instructions.
2. While the pasta water is coming to a boil, shred the chicken, dice the onions and pepper, grate the cheese.
3. In a pan over medium heat, heat the extra virgin olive oil and add the orange pepper and red onion and cook for 10 minutes.
4. Add the cream cheese to the pan and stir to melt, then add the tomato paste and fajita seasoning and stir to combine. Add the chicken broth, stirring to make the creamy sauce. Add the garlic powder, chili powder, corn, black beans, and chicken. Bring to a light boil to thicken, then reduce heat and simmer about 5 minutes.
5. To a casserole dish, add your pasta, then cover with the sauce and stir until all the noodles are coated. Top with the shredded Cheddar cheese and broil on high for about 3 and 1/2 minutes until the cheese is browned and bubbly. Serve with sour cream and top with more diced red onions for crunch!
You can use a red pepper in place of an orange pepper.
Keywords: chicken fajita pasta