Never choose between enchiladas or tacos. Now you can have both with these enchilada tacos! A mild spiced enchilada sauce with chicken, baked in mini flour tortillas and lot of cheese. The best of two dishes combine to make this family favorite!
You only need about 30-35 minutes from start to finish, an easy dinner you can make on a busy weeknight that will make kids and adults happy!
Homemade enchilada sauce
If you’ve never made homemade enchilada sauce, I’m here to tell you how easy it is. And, if you’ve ever bought the canned enchilada sauce, once you have this homemade version you’ll never grab that can again! Here’s what you need for this recipe, for a larger batch you’ll need to double the quantities:
- 3oz tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
What I love about this is I almost always have all of these ingredients on hand! Talk about an easy pantry item sauce. Nothing from the fridge, everything right from the pantry! Let the sauce simmer to heighten the flavors, or use it right away if you’re needing dinner quick.
How to bake enchilada tacos
Ok, let’s taco about my super easy way to bake tacos standing up. All you need is a regular old muffin tin, some foil, and cooking spray.
- First, take your muffin tin and flip it upside down.
- Take a long piece of foil and cover the entire tin, pressing down between all the horizontal and vertical grooves so the foil is sitting flat against the pan.
- Spray the pan with cooking spray so the cheese doesn’t stick, then place this on a baking sheet in case cheese and sauces spills out as it bakes (you don’t want that falling onto the oven floor!)
- Then just place your tortillas into the grooves, fill with the enchilada chicken, top with cheese, then bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees!
PS- Here are the mini tortillas I use, how cute are these?!
While I kept my tacos simple just with sour cream, you can have fun with these and add any extra taco toppings you like! Some ideas:
- Pico de gallo
- Shredded lettuce
- Diced onions
- Diced tomatoes
- Add black beans to the enchilada sauce
Make these your own, and how your family likes them!
For more cooking tips, recipes, and food photos…follow me on Instagram!Print
Enchilada tacos are the perfect blend of enchiladas and tacos! Mildly spicy, cheesy in a mini taco shell. This will become a family favorite! Whether you love enchiladas or tacos, have them both!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 mini enchilada tacos 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Mexican
1 chicken breast
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
6 mini soft tortillas
3 oz tomato paste
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
Shredded sharp Cheddar cheese and pepper jack cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Butterfly the chicken breast. lightly salt and pepper the chicken,
2. In a medium pan over medium heat, add the oil and heat, then add the chicken breast. Cook the chicken breast to brown each side, cooking for 90 seconds each side. Then remove and add to a plate and let rest.
3. In the same pan, over medium heat add the 3oz tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. Then add in the 1 cup chicken broth and stir to combine, then add the 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon cumin, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon chili powder. While the sauce simmers, slice and shred the chicken, then add to the sauce, cook for 10 minutes.
4. As the sauce and chicken simmers, prepare your muffin tin for baking. Flip a muffin tin upside down and cover with tin foil, press down so that the foil conforms to the grooves of the tin. (see photos above) Spray with cooking spray and place this muffin tin on a baking sheet (in case cheese or juices bake out).
5. Place the tortillas into the grooves of the muffin tin so they stand up straight (see photos above). Fill each tortilla with the chicken and enchilada sauce, then top with as much cheese as you’d like. Bake for 10 minutes. Allow to cool before eating, top with crema or sour cream.
Keywords: enchilada tacos