Make room on your brunch table for some Jalapeño Cheddar Scones! Now I love a good sweet scone, and I’ve got plenty of sweet scone recipes on the blog to prove it. But I also love the warm flavors of a savory scone, and these jalapeño and Cheddar cheese scones are just the thing!
Not only are these delicious, but they are quite stunning as well! The golden oranges from the Cheddar and the vibrant bright green from the peppers really make these pop.
I like to add a few whole slices of jalapeños to the tops of the scones before baking them to really make these look irresistible.
Are these scones spicy?
These scones have the flavor of the jalapeños without the spice! Since the spice and heat really comes from the seeds you won’t have a fiery mouth and water eyes when you eat these.
To prepare the jalapeños just remove all of the seeds and finely dice them.
What kind of cheese to use
When it comes to recipes that use Cheddar cheese, I always use either sharp or extra sharp. For me, I really want that strong Cheddar flavor which you’re really not going to get from a medium or mild. This is the extra sharp Cheddar I use most often.
So the reason why I love creating scones recipes isn’t just because they’re delicious, it’s because they’re so easy to make!
Just mix the dry ingredients, add in your egg and sour cream mixture, then knead into a dough. You just have to work the dough a bit to continually incorporate the dry flour mix, but once you do that you have this soft kneadable scone dough.
Then just slice into 8 triangles and bake! You could also use a circular cutter to make circle scones, but I’ve always preferred them as triangles.
More scones recipes to try
If you love scones as much as I do, check out some of my other recipes here on the blog!Print
Jalapeño Cheddar Scones
A savory scone with a delicious flavor combination of sharp Cheddar cheese and warm jalapeño peppers. Serve these with some honey butter for the perfect bite!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 17 minutes
- Total Time: 27 minutes
- Yield: 8 scones
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
2 cups all purpose flour
1 and and 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1/3 cup white sugar
1/3 cup finely diced jalapeños, seeds removed
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
8 tablespoons butter, diced
1/2 cup sour cream
1. Preheat the oven to 400. In a large bowl, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir to combine the dry ingredients. Add in the diced butter, and using a pastry cutter cut in the butter until the mixture resembles a course meal.
2. Pour in the cheese and jalapeños and stir to evenly mix them throughout.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream and the egg then pour into the dry ingredients bowl and stir to combine. The dough will still be course and not a wet batter. Flour your hands, and use your hands to work the dough together to form a ball, making sure to continually to incorporate the dry ingredients into the dough ball.
4. Place this scone dough ball on a lightly floured counter top and lightly knead to form a circle about 7″ wide. Use a pizza cutter to slice 8 scones.
5. Bake for 16-17 minutes. Drizzle with honey or serve with honey butter.
Keywords: jalapeño Cheddar scones