We all know chips and dip. Chips have really cornered the market on dip pairings, haven’t they? Well today let’s let pretzels have their shining moment with this epic beer cheese dip. This saucy dip will need to take center stage at your next party!
What kind of beer to use
Ok, so first I’m going to say you can use whatever is your favorite beer to drink. For me, that’s going to be Blue Moon! I love the flavor this gives to the sauce, and I definitely don’t mind sipping on one has I’m in snack mode on the weekend.
So while I say use your favorite beer, I recommend using a beer that’s light in color. I wouldn’t recommend using a dark lager or even a deep amber beer.
You’re going to love how easy this sauce comes together! You need about 15 minutes of prep time to grate the cheese and gather the ingredients, then about 15 minutes to make the sauce. That’s it!
While pretzels are the best combo for this, here are some other ideas to use this sauce!
- Beer cheese hot dogs
- Dipping chicken fingers or chicken tenders
- With broccoli
- On burgers
- On baked potatoes
Ok I definitely just got hungry with those ideas. I’m thinking beer cheese baked potatoes is going on my dinner menu very soon!
Want more cheese recipes? Check out some more recipes here on the blog!
Got some leftover beer? You could also make these Beermosas for a fun new brunch drink!Print
The best dip for pretzels is here with this Beer Cheese Sauce! Perfectly seasoned, loaded with cheese, and your favorite beer. Move over chips and salsa, pretzels and beer cheese is on this menu!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 10 servings
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: American
8oz block sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1/2 cup of beer (your choice but I used Blue Moon)
3/4 cup half & half
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. In a sauce pan melt the butter and add the flour, whisking to combine.
2. Next, pour in the beer, half & half, mustard, Worcestershire, garlic powder, salt, pepper and smoked paprika. Stir to combine and cook for 3-5 minutes.
3. Add the cheese a little at a time, whisking after each time so that the cheese melts. Simmer another 3-5 minutes until thickened.
4. Pour into a bowl and enjoy! You can serve this as a dip for pretzels and chips, or use as a cheese sauce for hot dogs, chicken, and more!
Keywords: beer cheese