Soft and chewy lemon sugar cookies are a light and refreshing cookie! A bright combination of citrus and sweet, these are perfect when you want a cookie treat that isn’t too heavy. These are also a quick cookie with no fridge chilling time required!
HOW TO MAKE PERFECT CHEWY COOKIES
You know around here the only kind of cookies I make are soft and chewy. Crunchy cookies be gone! One of the easiest ways to make sure you get those soft and chewy cookies every time is to line your baking sheet with parchment paper. By adding this barrier between the surface of the baking sheet and the cookie dough you’ll be able to thoroughly bake the cookie while leaving the edges and bottom totally soft.
Prefer a crisper bottom with golden brown edges? Skip the parchment paper! The cookies will still be soft but you’ll have a slight crisp on the bottom.
HOW TO MAKE LEMON COOKIES
I love these cookies because they are truly easy! While many cookies require about 30 minutes in the fridge before baking, not these! Making these cookies is 4 easy steps.
STEP 1. Make the lemon sugar by combining 1/8 cup of white sugar with 1 teaspoon lemon zest.
STEP 2. Cream together the butter, sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
STEP 3. Mix the flour, baking powder, salt then gradually add this to the creamed butter mix.
STEP 4. Roll cookie dough balls in the lemon sugar, then bake at 350 degrees for 10-11 minutes.
I like to leave these on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes to cool before removing them to a plate.
HOW TO STORE THE COOKIES
You can keep these covered on the counter for several days. Or, I like to keep a few in the fridge! There’s something really refreshing about a chilled lemon cookie. My personally preference is to keep them at room temperate for no longer than 3-4 days, after that store the rest in the fridge to keep them fresh.
Cookie tip: Only use fresh squeezed lemon juice! You really want that freshness from squeezing the juice yourself. Bottled lemon juice can contain extra preservatives which we don’t want in these cookies. Lemon extract also won’t give you that true fresh lemon flavor you want.
Squeezing your own lemon juice really only takes a few seconds, grab yourself a handheld lemon juicer or place a mesh strainer over a bowl to catch the seeds and hand-squeeze!
For more lemon recipes!
Chewy Lemon Sugar Cookies
Soft and chewy lemon sugar cookies are an easy cookie that’s a perfect combination of citrus and sweet. No chilling needed, just mix up the dough, roll in lemon sugar, and bake!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 20 cookies
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
1 and 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 stick softened butter
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons lemon zest
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Lemon Sugar Topping
1/8 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1. Heat oven to 350. For totally soft cookies, line the baking sheet with parchment paper. For cookies with slightly crisp edges and bottom leave the baking sheet unlined.
2. Make the lemon sugar topping by combining the 1/8 cup of sugar with the 1 teaspoon lemon zest.
3. In a large bowl cream the butter with a handheld mixer (or you can use a stand mixer if you have one!) Beat in the sugar, then add the lemon zest and juice, and lastly the egg. Beat until combined.
4. In another bowl, mix the flour, salt, and baking powder.
5. Gradually add the dry ingredients into the creamed butter and stir until completely combined.
6. Form cookie dough balls and roll in the lemon sugar. Bake for 10-11 minutes, allow to cool on the sheet for 5 minutes then remove to a plate.
Keywords: chewy lemon sugar cookies