A sugar cookie is epitome of the word “cookie”. It’s classic, beautifully simple, an all around crowd-pleasing cookie. Who doesn’t like a good sugar cookie?
But I’m not here to talk to you about the old-fashioned sugar cookies, I’m here to talk to your about mini almond sugar cookies.
Mini almond sugar cookies are a soft baked sugar cookie, flavored with almond extract and decorated vibrantly with colored sprinkles and sugar.
They also might be the easiest cookie recipe you’ll ever find, and a kid friendly baking recipe!
I’m not claiming this to be the easiest cookie recipe without backing that up with proof.
Here’s what makes these the easiest sugar cookie recipe and the easiest kid friendly cookie recipe!
- No making cookie dough balls
- No need for cookie cutters
- No rolling a sheet of dough
So I’ve said you’re not making dough balls, you’re not rolling dough, and you’re not using cookie cutters. Want to know how you’re going to make these cookies?
You bake one BIG cookie rectangle. Then, after this giant cookie bakes, use your pizza cutter and slice this into little square cookies!
See how easy that is? And why this is the perfect cookie recipe to try with your little ones.
My big cookie looks like this. I measured 9″ tall by 10″ and find this is the best size for the perfect cookie.
Let’s talk sprinkles.
The vibrant colored sprinkles just pop on these cookies, and you can add as much as you like!
While I haven’t tried these before, I am interested in trying sprinkles that don’t use artificial colors. I found these sprinkles here on Amazon. Has anyone tried these? Or something similar? Let me know in the comments!
- This dough is wet and a little sticky, it’s not your traditional drier dough. Use a spoon, spatula or your hands to smooth out the dough and spread it on the sheet.
- Use the smallest baking sheet you have, when you spread out the dough it’s not going to spread all the way to the edges.
- My favorite thickness comes from making the large rectangle cookie dough 9″ tall by 10″.
- One it has baked, use your pizza cutter to slice into little squares.
- This recipe uses shortening. I’ve never tried it with butter so don’t know how that would turn out. While I don’t use shortening often, it definitely works in this recipe!
- As noted above, if you don’t want the artificial coloring from traditional sprinkles, there are options for sprinkles that use natural coloring ingredients.
It can’t get any easier than that to have homemade freshly baked mini almond sugar cookies!Print
Mini Almond Sugar Cookies
Mini almond sugar cookies are an easy and soft baked sugar cookie perfect for Holiday baking. This bakes as one big cookie on a sheet pan then just slice into mini squares!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 17 minutes
- Yield: 30 cookies 1x
- Category: Baking
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
1 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour
5 tablespoons Crisco shortening
3/4 cup white sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon milk
2 teaspoons almond extract
1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
Colored sprinkles + 1 tablespoon sugar for decorating
1. Heat oven to 375. In a large bowl cream together the shortening and the 3/4 cup sugar. Add in the oil, egg, milk, and almond extract and beat until light and fluffy.
2. Gradually blend in the flour, baking powder, and salt at low speed. Spread onto an ungreased baking pan. Mixture will not cover the entire pan, spread until about 1/4″ thick. Mine measured 9×10. Sprinkle with the 1 tablespoon sugar and sprinkles. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes then slice with a pizza cutter to the desired cookie size.
This is a recipe my mom would make for us as kids! She found the recipe on the bag of Pillsbury Flour.
Keywords: almond sugar cookies