Hot cocoa cookies take all the flavors of hot cocoa and bake them into a chewy fudgy cookie! Packets of dark hot chocolate are blending into the cookie dough then mixed marshmallow fluff to make a perfect winter inspired cookie!
INGREDIENTS FOR HOT COCOA COOKIES
I love this recipe because these aren’t just cookies inspired by hot cocoa, there’s hot cocoa actually in the cookie batter! The added cocoa powder helps tone down the sweetness and makes these a really fudgy and rich chocolate cookie. Here’s what you need to have on hand to make these.
- All purpose flour
- Salt and baking powder
- Dark brown sugar
- Special dark cocoa powder
- Dark chocolate hot cocoa
- Vanilla extract
- 1 bar of dark chocolate
- Marshmallow fluff
I love using marshmallow fluff here instead of marshmallows, I think it just makes these so inviting with that spiral marbling effect you get! When you add the fluff to the dough I like to add it in dollops across the top, then kind of “chop” it instead of heavily mixing.
You want it to look like this below. Don’t over mix! If you mix the fluff too much it will change the overall texture of the cookie.
You can keep these covered on the counter or in an airtight container, but eat them within a few days for best texture!
Since these are extra fudgy and a the fluff is a bit sticky, I don’t recommend stacking these on top of each other when storing. Keep them in a single layer, or put a piece of parchment paper in between each cookie to they don’t stick to each other.
Looking for more cookie inspiration? Try some of my favorites!
And here are recipes to use extra marshmallow fluff!Print
Hot Cocoa Cookies
Hot cocoa cookies take all the flavors of hot cocoa and bake them into a chewy cookie! The cookie dough is made with packets of dark hot chocolate and cocoa powder, then swirled with marshmallow fluff.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 12-18 cookies
- Category: Baking
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
1 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 stick + 2 tablespoons of butter, melted
4 packets dark chocolate hot cocoa
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/3 cup dark cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3.5 ounce bar of dark chocolate, chopped
2/3 cup marshmallow fluff, plus more for decorating
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Melt the butter, set aside while you prepare the rest of the cookie dough.
2. In a medium bowl combine the flour, cocoa powder, hot cocoa packets, baking soda, and salt.
3. In a large bowl, add the two eggs and the brown sugar. Beat on medium for 1 minute. Pour in the melted butter, then the dry ingredients.
4. Mix until everything is almost incorporated, then pour in the chopped dark chocolate and stir until blended throughout the dough.
5. Dollop the marshmallow fluff over top of the dough then gently fold in a few times. You want this to have a marbled look you don’t want to blend the fluff into the dough! (see post above for example photo!)
6. Scoop onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. You can swirl a bit more fluff on each cookie if you want! Bake for 10 minutes. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before gently removing to a plate.
This will have 12 large cookies, or 15-18 medium sized cookies.
These can be a bit sticky from the fluff, don’t store the cookies stacked on top of each other.
Keywords: hot cocoa cookies