No bake chocolate cheesecake is the easy dessert you need in your recipe box. No baking, not even the crust! This is made with melted dark chocolate, 78% dark to be exact. The cookie crust has espresso powder in it that helps enhance the dark chocolate flavors. This is truly a next level dessert.
Everything sets up in the fridge and after a few hours of chilling you’re enjoying a rich velvety cheesecake!
Recipe at a Glance
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Chill Time: 5 hours
The longest part of this recipe is letting the cheesecake chill in the fridge to set. Don’t rush this step! Cutting the cheesecake too soon will give you more of a mousse consistency. You need to wait until the cream cheese has hardened.
No bake desserts are one of my favorite things. I’ve told you guys this before, I’m really not a baker. Baking just isn’t my thing, and I don’t enjoy it like I do cooking. Sure, I bake Christmas cookies, a muffin here and a scone there. But the bulk of my kitchen time and recipe developing is centered around cooking and not baking.
Another reason why no bake desserts win the prize is because they make perfect summer desserts. Come on, who likes firing up the oven when it’s 90 or 100 degrees outside? Not me! So don’t you just love that you can have a dessert that’s all chocolate, rich, super decadent and you didn’t have to heat up your house to get it?
The most important steps in a no bake cheese cake
I need to call this out because it’s really important. This step cannot be skipped. The cream cheese must be room temperature and soft. If you use cream cheese that’s too cold you won’t be able to get the completely smooth texture needed. What will happen is you’ll end up with little tiny clumps of cream cheese that won’t breakdown and your chocolate cheesecake will be bumpy and speckled with little white clumps of cream cheese.
Trust me. It has happened to me before and I had to learn my lesson. I’ll always wait until the cream cheese is room temperate and softened. How depressing to spend all this time making a rich chocolate no bake cheesecake only to have it ruined!
The second most important step is to sift your powdered sugar before you mix into into the cream cheese. If you’ve ever worked with powdered sugar in baking before you know that it has a tendency to form little clumps that are really hard to break up once they’ve been incorporated into a batter or glaze. With a no bake cheesecake, especially one that’s dark chocolate, you can’t risk having any clumps. It’s so important to make sure you have a smooth even texture that’s all dark chocolate and not little specks of white.
So, long store short: sift your powdered sugar and make sure the cream cheese is room temperature and not cool.
Helpful tips for making this no bake chocolate cheesecake
- As I said above, the cream cheese MUST be room temperature. If it’s not, and you use cream cheese that’s too cold it prevents it from blending totally smooth. You’ll potentially have little clumps of cream cheese that can’t break down. So instead of a smooth dark chocolate cheesecake you’ll have these little white clumps speckled throughout.
- Sift your powdered sugar before mixing it into the batter. Like the cream cheese, if you don’t sift you can risk have clumps of powdered sugar throughout the cheesecake. By sifting it, you create a very fine smooth powder that can easily blend into the cream cheese batter.
- Don’t omit the powdered sugar by just increasing the amount of white sugar. Why powdered sugar? Well, it blends into the cool batter easily in a smooth and even way. White granulated sugar can be grainy. This cheesecake doesn’t bake, the white sugar can’t dissolve in a cold batter. So, if you use too much white sugar you run the risk of having a cheesecake that is grainy, where you feel the texture of the granulated sugar.
- And lastly, let the cheesecake chill for the full 5 hours. If you cut into it too soon it might not be fully set. The result is a cheesecake that is more mousse consistency instead of what we really want, which is a dense solid chocolate cheesecake.
Like no bake desserts? Check out his this no bake espresso cheesecake recipe.Print
No Bake Chocolate Cheesecake
No bake chocolate cheesecake is an easy and rich dessert recipe. Even the crust doesn’t require baking! A dark chocolate cheesecake batter then drizzle with caramel sauce for a little sweet bite.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 hours
- Total Time: 5 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 1 cheesecake
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Chill
- Cuisine: American
For the Cookie Crust
1 package Oreo cookies (14.3oz package)
8 ounces salted butter, melted
2 teaspoons espresso powder
For the Cheesecake
2 8oz packages of regular cream cheese
1 cup heavy cream
7 oz dark chocolate (I used two 3.5oz bars of Lindt 78% chocolate)
2 tablespoons dark cocoa powder
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Start by making your crust. Melt the 8 ounces of butter, and pulse the cookies in a food processor until they are a fine powder. In a large bowl, combine the crushed cookies, the melted butter and the 2 teaspoons of espresso powder. Stir until all the cookie crumbs have been incorporated into the crust batter. Take your 9″ spring form pan and spray it with cooking spray. Start making your crust by spreading some of the cookie mixture into the bottom and pressing firm so it becomes compact and smooth. once you’ve form the entire bottom, add more crust crumbs around the entire edge and start pressing it up to form the high crust wall. You should use all the the cookie crust mixture. Place in the fridge while you make the rest of the cheesecake.
2. Now, make the whipped cream. Pour the 1 cup of heavy cream into your mixing bowl and either with a stand mixer or handheld, beat on high for approximately 1 minute and 15 seconds until a firm whipped cream has formed. Place aside.
3. Using a double boiler method, melt the chocolate, then pour into a bowl to slightly cool.
4. In your standing mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the white sugar, the sifted powdered sugar, vanilla, and cocoa powder. Beat until combined. Next, pour in the melted chocolate and stir with a spoon to blend into the cream cheese batter. Lastly, fold in the whipped cream until it has completely blended in. You don’t want to see any white, the batter should be completely dark chocolate.
5. Remove the crust from the fridge. Pour the cheesecake batter on top of the crust and smooth so the top of the cheesecake is as smooth as you can get it. Chill for 5 hours. Serve with more whipped cream or caramel sauce!
Use regular full fat cheesecake, this isn’t something you can use reduced calorie cream cheese in. It won’t produce the same consistency!
Keywords: no bake chocolate cheesecake