A rich chocolate cheesecake with no oven needed? Yes, such a thing exists. This no bake chocolate cheesecake is the easy no bake cheesecake you need to keep in your recipe box. Not even the crust of this needs any baking! The whole things chills in the fridge for several hours. Once the cheesecake has set, you’ve got yourself a dense velvety cheesecake, and you didn’t need to break a sweat!
If you like chocolate desserts, this is for you! If you’re not a strong baker but want to bring an impressive dessert to a party, this is for you. And, if you like cheesecakes and want and easy cheesecake recipe this is for you! Do any of these sound like you?
Let’s talk about a few reasons why no bake desserts are seriously the heroes of the dessert world.
First, not everyone likes baking or is a skilled baker.
Guys, baking can be tricky. I openly admit this often, I’m really not a baker! Sure, I bake Christmas cookies every year, muffins for breakfast, or scones to go with my coffee. But the bulk of my kitchen time and recipe developing is centered around cooking and not baking. So I created this recipe for all of you who want a dessert that’s decadent, rich, and chocolatey but don’t want a difficult pie or cake recipe.
Second, a no bake dessert means exactly that, no need to turn on that oven! This is truly a summer cheesecake. When it’s 90 or 100 degrees outside, who wants to fire up the oven and start baking? Not me. But with this you can have a gorgeous dessert and you don’t have to turn on your oven at all. And, this is served cold straight from the fridge. How refreshing is that in the summer? A cold and creamy summer cheesecake. I’ll take a slice!
Lastly, this particular no bake cheesecake is the best because it truly is no bake! There are recipes out there that maybe a part of the cheesecake is no bake. By this I mean maybe the center part part doesn’t need the oven, but the crust does. But not here! Even the crust chills in the fridge to get firm and crunchy!
Making a no bake cheesecake
So, I mentioned above that a no bake dessert is easier than baking. And for me, it is. But there is one really important step that can’t be skipped. The cream cheese must be room temperature and soft. If it’s too cold you won’t be able to get the completely smooth texture you need in a cheesecake. What happens is you’ll end up with these little tiny clumps of cream cheese that won’t breakdown or blend in and your chocolate cheesecake will be bumpy and speckled with little white clumps.
Let me tell you from experience, this is so disappointing when this happens. So take it from me, let the cream cheese come to room temperature.
If you’ve ever worked with powdered sugar in baking before you know that it has a tendency to form little clumps that are really hard to break up once they’ve been incorporated into a batter or glaze. With a no bake cheesecake, especially one that’s dark chocolate, you can’t risk having any clumps. It’s so important to make sure you have a smooth even texture that’s all dark chocolate and not little specks of white
- As I said above, the cream cheese MUST be room temperature. If it’s not you won’t be able to get a smooth cheesecake texture.
- Sift your powdered sugar before mixing it into the batter. Again, if you don’t sift you can risk have clumps of powdered sugar throughout the cheesecake. By sifting it, you create a very fine smooth powder that can easily blend into the cream cheese batter.
- Don’t omit the powdered sugar by just increasing the amount of white sugar. Why powdered sugar? Well, it blends into the cool batter easily in a smooth and even way. White granulated sugar can be grainy. Since we’re not going to bake this cheesecake, the white sugar can’t dissolve in a cold batter. So, if you use too much white sugar you run the risk of having a cheesecake that is grainy, where you feel the texture of the sugar
- Use high quality dark chocolate. I really like Lindt, which is what I used in this recipe. When something is a main ingredient, or main flavor profile it really is important to go for a high quality ingredient.
- And last but definitely not least, let the it chill for the full 5 hours. If you cut into it too soon it might not be fully set. The result is a cheesecake that is more mousse consistency instead of what we really want, which is a dense solid chocolate cheesecake.
This is such an easy cheesecake I hope it becomes a recipe that you make over and over! I love adding a little caramel drizzle over top, or even some whipped cream.
If you really like no bake desserts, out his this no bake espresso cheesecake recipe.
Or, I also have a dessert category where you can browse some of my other dessert recipes, although some do require baking.Print
No Bake Chocolate Cheesecake
No bake chocolate cheesecake is an easy and rich dessert recipe. Even the crust doesn’t require baking! A dark chocolate cheesecake batter then drizzle with caramel sauce for a little sweet bite.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 hours
- Total Time: 5 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 1 cheesecake
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Chill
- Cuisine: American
For the Cookie Crust
1 package Oreo cookies (14.3oz package)
8 ounces salted butter, melted
2 teaspoons espresso powder
For the Cheesecake
2 8oz packages of regular cream cheese
1 cup heavy cream
7 oz dark chocolate (I used two 3.5oz bars of Lindt 78% chocolate)
2 tablespoons dark cocoa powder
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Start by making your crust. Melt the 8 ounces of butter, and pulse the cookies in a food processor until they are a fine powder. In a large bowl, combine the crushed cookies, the melted butter and the 2 teaspoons of espresso powder. Stir until all the cookie crumbs have been incorporated into the crust batter. Take your 9″ spring form pan and spray it with cooking spray. Start making your crust by spreading some of the cookie mixture into the bottom and pressing firm so it becomes compact and smooth. once you’ve form the entire bottom, add more crust crumbs around the entire edge and start pressing it up to form the high crust wall. You should use all the the cookie crust mixture. Place in the fridge while you make the rest of the cheesecake.
2. Now, make the whipped cream. Pour the 1 cup of heavy cream into your mixing bowl and either with a stand mixer or handheld, beat on high for approximately 1 minute and 15 seconds until a firm whipped cream has formed. Place aside.
3. Using a double boiler method, melt the chocolate, then pour into a bowl to slightly cool.
4. In your standing mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the white sugar, the sifted powdered sugar, vanilla, and cocoa powder. Beat until combined. Next, pour in the melted chocolate and stir with a spoon to blend into the cream cheese batter. Lastly, fold in the whipped cream until it has completely blended in. You don’t want to see any white, the batter should be completely dark chocolate.
5. Remove the crust from the fridge. Pour the cheesecake batter on top of the crust and smooth so the top of the cheesecake is as smooth as you can get it. Chill for 5 hours. Serve with more whipped cream or caramel sauce!
Use regular full fat cheesecake, this isn’t something you can use reduced calorie cream cheese in. It won’t produce the same consistency!
Keywords: no bake chocolate cheesecake