Your Preakness perfect cocktail is served! The Kentucky Derby has the Mint Julep, and the Preakness Stakes has this vibrant Black-Eyed Susan as it’s signature drink. A gorgeous golden cocktail that’s not too sweet and not too strong, the perfect drink to sip on a warm day!
Recipe at a Glance
Time: 5 minutes
Notes: There are a few variations to this cocktail. Some versions use bourbon, some use rum, and some use sour mix! For my take on this cocktail I used rum and swapped sour mix with lemonade.
Before we get to the cocktail making, I think it’s important to know what an actual black-eyed Susan is. They’re a happy yellow flower marked by it’s classic brownish-black center. It’s also the state flower of Maryland, so it’s no wonder the signature cocktail of Preakness Stakes in Maryland is called the Black-Eyed Susan!
How to make a Black-Eyed Susan
Here’s the ingredients and tools you’ll need to make this drink.
- White rum
- Triple Sec
- Orange juice
- Pineapple Juice
- Cocktail shaker, if you don’t have one you can get one like this stainless steel cocktail shaker!
- Large rocks glass or highball glass, I used these crystal double old fashioned glasses
- Orange slices
- Add a few ice cubes to the shaker.
- Pour in all of the ingredients except the garnishes.
- Shake well, then pour into your glass filled with ice.
- Garnish with orange slices and cherries.
- Enjoy responsibly!
So easy but really can hold it’s own as a signature cocktail! And what I love about this is that it’s definitely not a drink that’s too sweet, but it’s also not going too strong with a boozy flavor. It’s a nice balance between the citrus juices and the liquors. I could definitely envision sipping a few of these at the horse race!
Want more cocktail inspiration? Here are a few more drink recipes I’ve created!
Black-Eyed Susan Cocktail
A refreshing citrus cocktail that’s not too sweet or too strong. The garnish of the fresh cherry in the center makes this reminiscent of the black-eyed Susan flower!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 cocktail
- Category: Beverage
1 ounce vodka
1 ounce rum
1 ounce triple sec
1 ounce pineapple juice
2 ounces OJ
2 ounces lemonade
Garnishes: Orange and cherries
1. Fill a cocktail shaker with ice.
2. Pour in all of the cocktail ingredients and shake well.
3. Strain into a cocktail glass filled with ice. Garnish with a slice of orange and a cherry in the center.
If using whole cherries as a garnish, do not ingest any cherry seeds.
This drink is commonly made with sour mix, but I swapped that out for lemonade.
There are a few variations of this drink, you could substitute the rum for bourbon.
Keywords: black eyed susan cocktail
Leave a Reply