Summer has arrived in these tequila jello shots! Cherry and orange jello layered in a mandarin peel make these fun tequila sunrise jello shots. If you’re used to seeing jello shots in little plastic containers, these mandarin peels make for a fun and fresh twist!
How to make jello shots in orange peels
These little jello shot slices are easy to make, and everyone will be asking you how to make them!
- First, take your mandarins and slice them in half, then scoop out the fruit into a bowl. Save the fruit for a snack later!
- Take the empty peels and place them in a muffin tin.
- Fill each peel half way with the prepared cherry tequila jello (scroll to the bottom for the recipe). Any extra jello pour into another container and chill. Then, place in the fridge and chill for at least 2 hours. Don’t rush the process of letting the jello firm up. Each layer needs a minimum of 2 hours in the fridge or you risk having these fall apart and be to watery.
- After the cherry jello has chilled, prepare your orange jello with tequila and pour on top of the cherry jello. Fill the all the way to the top of the mandarin peel. Pour any extra jello into the container with the cherry jello. Place back in the fridge for another 2 hours.
- Once they are fully chilled, slice the peels in half. If any of them have lost some of the jello and part of the peel is showing just use a scissor and trim away the excess peel.
I love that these don’t use plastic cups! Not only is using the mandarin peel more eco-friendly, they’re also a real show stopper! These little slices are just so inviting to eat with their bright red and vibrant orange.
Get your summer party started in a fun and whimsical way with these little tequila jello shots!
- Do I have to chill them for 2 hours? Yes!! If you rush the chilling process you’ll end up with a wet jello shot that didn’t set all the way. Definitely give each layer the full two hours at least. I recommend making these the day before the party!
- Can I use another liquor other than tequila? Yes, you don’t have to use tequila in a jello shot…but then these wouldn’t be tequila sunrise jello shots lol.
- Can I use another fruit and not a mandarin? I think the mandarins are the perfect size! They fit nicely in the muffin tin. They’re not too big, and not too small. So my recommendation, stick with these mandarins.
- My jello shots leaked into the muffin tin, what now? Sometimes some of the peels may be more porous than others, and we can’t see that with the naked eye. And this may cause some of the liquid jello to seep out and you end up with a short jello shot. Just use a scissor and trim away the excess peel! They’ll be shorter and will have less of the red and orange layered look, but they’re still edible.
Tequila Sunrise Jello Shots
Tequila Sunrise Jello Shots add a burst of summer to any party! A layer of cherry jello, then a layer of orange jello served in a mandarin peel. Have a little fun with your jello shot!
- Prep Time: 5 hours
- Total Time: 5 hours
- Yield: 24 slices 1x
- Category: Beverage
- Cuisine: American
1 bag mandarins (you’ll need 6 good mandarins)
1 package cherry jello
1 package orange jello
2 cups boiling water
1 cup cold water
1 cup silver tequila
1. Take the mandarins and slice them in half, then scoop out the fruit into a bowl. Save the fruit for a snack later! If there are any pieces of long pulp in the peel careful trim it away. Some of the peels as you scoop the fruit out may have a little whole in the bottom. If you get one like that, you’ll need to discard it since the liquid jello would leak out. Take the empty peels and place them in a muffin tin.
2. Prepare the cherry jello by pouring the packet into a large boil, and adding 1 cup of boiling water. Stir well until all of the gelatin has completely dissolved. You don’t want to feel any course gelatin in the bowl. Then, add 1/2 cup cold water and 1/2 cup silver tequila. Pour into the mandarin peels filling them half way. Chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours. Pour any extra jello you have into a tray or container with the and also chill.
3. After the cherry jello has chilled, prepare your orange jello by pouring the packet into a large boil, and adding 1 cup of boiling water. Stir well until all of the gelatin has completely dissolved. Then, add 1/2 cup cold water and 1/2 cup silver tequila. Pour into the mandarin peels on top of the cherry jello and fill the all the way to the top of the peel. Pour any extra jello into the same container with the cherry jello. Place back in the fridge for another 2 hours.
4. Once they are fully chilled, remove from the fridge and slice the peels in half. If any of them have lost some of the jello because it seeped out and part of the peel is showing just use a scissor and trim away the excess peel.
Keywords: tequila jello shots