Soft and chewy pumpkin chocolate chunk cookies perfect for Fall baking! Full of pumpkin spices and pools of rich dark chocolate.
1 and 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 cup butter
1/2 cup 100% pure pumpkin
1 and 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, lightly packed
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 bars dark chocolate, chopped (use 3.5oz bars, or 1 and 1/2 cups dark chocolate morsels)
1. Start by making the brown butter. If using sticks of butter, slice it into a few large chunks so it will melt evenly. Place the butter into a light colored pot over medium heat. Cook the butter until evenly melted, then adjust the heat higher to medium-high. Allow the butter to come to a rapid bubbly simmer.
2. While adjusting the heat between medium and medium-high, continually stir the butter until the milk particles have browned and the liquid is a rich caramel or amber color. I’ve found that once the butter is melted this process takes 4-5 minutes. Once fully browned, immediately pour into a heat proof bowl and set aside to slightly cool before using in the rest of the recipe.
3. Next cook the pumpkin to remove excess moisture. To a small pot add the pumpkin and the cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger. Stir and cook on low for 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly. Don’t let it sit for too long so it doesn’t burn. Pour into a heat safe bowl and set aside.
4. To a large mixing bowl, add the flour, baking soda, and salt.
5. To the bowl of brown butter, mix in the dark brown sugar, the egg yolk, and the vanilla. Add in the pumpkin mixture.
6. Take the wet ingredients and pour into the bowl of dry ingredients. Stir well to combine, breaking up any clumps of flour. Add the chopped chocolate and stir.
7. Chill the dough in the fridge for 30 minutes.
8. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 10-11 minutes and allow to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a plate. For super soft cookies, bake the cookies on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. For slightly crisper edges, bake on an unlined nonstick baking sheet.
Keywords: pumpkin dark chocolate cookies