Enjoy the comforts of a taco casserole in a handheld walking taco casserole bake! Perfect for a party or for your next taco night.
1 pound ground beef, use either 85/15 or 90/10 to reduce the amount of grease
1 packet of taco seasoning
2/3 cup water as called for on the taco packet
15oz can refried beans, you can use refried black beans or refried pinto beans
Corn, I used cooked frozen corn from the bag and used about 3/4 the bag
Sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
Crushed tortilla chips
For the additional toppings
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large pan cook the ground beef until no longer pink and fully cooked. Completely drain of all excess grease, I use a mesh strainer to really get all the grease out.
3. Return the ground beef to the pan and add 2/3 cup water and the entire taco seasoning packet to coat all of the beef. Bring to a light boil so that the sauce completely thickens, then turn off the heat and spoon the taco meat into a bowl and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
4. While the beef is cooling, start prepping the baking cups. Take 2 of the liners and add them together and place directly on a baking sheet, do not use a muffin tin as it will be too difficult to remove them after baking. Next add 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of the refried beans to the bottom of the liner. See notes above for the correct liners to use. You need to either use aluminum baking ramekins or grease-resistant liners. Do not use standard paper cupcake liners!
5. Next add a little of the corn, then 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of the taco ground beef, pressing down to pack everything together. The baking cup should not be filled all the way to the top. At this point the cup should only be about 3/4 way filled. Now top with shredded cheese, sprinkle with smoked paprika, and top with some crushed tortilla chips. Bake for 15 minutes.
6. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet, then place them on a plate and let them cool for 10 more minutes.
7. To serve, top with any additional taco toppings you want. They can be warm to the touch, but should not be uncomfortable to hold to walk and eat!
Drain as much grease as possible to avoid a greasy casserole.
Don’t fill the liners all the way to the top with the ground beef to avoid any of the liquids from bubbling over.
Make sure these are comfortable to hold temperature wise. If they are too warm, pop them into an additional baking liner.
DO NOT BROIL to melt the cheese! Cupcake liners are not safe for the high temperatures of broiling.
Keywords: walking taco casserole