Apple pie cookies have all the warm spiced flavors of an apple pie in cookie form! Granny Smith apples, quick oats, and lots of apple pie spices combine into this chewy soft baked cookie.
1 and 1/4 cups peeled and diced Granny Smith apples seasoned with 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup quick oats
1 cup all purpose flour
1 stick butter, browned
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup dark brown sugar, lightly packed
1 tablespoon molasses
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1. Start by making the browned butter. Dice the butter and place it in a light colored pot over low heat. Once the butter is melted, turn the heat up alternating between medium and medium high until the butter rapidly simmers and cook 4-5 minutes. Whisk constantly and keep an eye on this because butter can burn fast. You don’t want a roaring boil, you want a light bubbly simmer. You’ll notice it will get a rich nutty smell and the color will start to turn a deep caramel brown. I’ve found 5 minutes has worked well for me. Once browned, pour butter into a heat safe bowl and let it cool slightly.
2. In a small bowl add the peeled and diced apples and season with the 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg.
3. In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
4. In another bowl, combine the brown butter that’s been cooled for a bit with the brown sugar, vanilla, molasses, egg, and vegetable oil.
5. Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Add the spiced apples, and stir to evenly blend them throughout the cookie dough. Place the dough in the fridge for 30 minutes. (do not skip the chilling step!!)
6. When the dough is almost done chilling, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
7. Form your cookie dough balls and add to a baking sheet. For extra chewy cookies back for 10 minutes. For a slightly more “done” top bake for 12 minutes.
Keep these stored in the fridge, reheat in the microwave for warm just baked taste!
Keywords: apple pie cookies