A bright and fresh scone loaded with orange zest and dried cranberries. These Orange Cranberry Scones get a delicious orange nutmeg glaze to make the perfect bite!
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon white sugar
3 teaspoons orange zest
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
8 tablespoons butter, diced
1/2 cup sour cream
For the Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
3 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice
2 teaspoons orange zest
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1. Preheat the oven to 400. In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, orange zest, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir to combine the dry ingredients. Add in the diced butter, and use a pastry cutter to cut in the butter until the mixture resembles a course meal.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream and the egg. Pour into the dry ingredients bowl and stir to combine, adding in the dried cranberries as you stir. The dough will still be course and not a wet batter.
3. Flour your hands, and use your hands to work the dough together to form a ball. This will take a little work, and you’ll need to continually incorporate in any dry ingredients that pool at the bottom of the bowl.
4. Place this scone dough on a lightly floured counter top and lightly knead to corm a circle about 7″ wide. Use a pizza cutter to slice 8 scones.
5. Bake for 16-17 minutes.
6. To make the glaze, in a small bowl combine all of the glaze ingredients. If the mixture is too thick, add in fresh squeezed orange juice to make a thinner consistency.
7. After the scones have cooled a bit, drizzle with as much glaze as you’d like! You can store extra glaze in the fridge for a few days.
Keywords: orange cranberry scones