These cookies are super chewy, super soft baked, and loaded with colorful sprinkles! A fun sugar cookie you can bake any time of the year.
1 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour (plus more for rolling)
1 cup white sugar (plus more for decorating)
1 stick softened butter (I used salted)
1/2 cup sprinkles
2 tablespoons milk or half & half
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. In a large bowl combine the flour, salt, and baking powder.
2. In another bowl, cream the butter. Beat in the sugar until blended, then add the vanilla, milk, and the egg. Beat on medium until everything has combined.
3. Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and stir gently, Add in the sprinkles and continue to stir until they are evenly mixed into the dough. Use your hands to gently form a large cookie dough ball then place the bowl in the fridge to chill for 1 hour.
4. In the last 15 minutes of chilling, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare your cookie sheet by lining it with parchment paper.
5. When the dough is completely chilled, remove it from the fridge and lightly flour the surface you’ll be rolling on. Gently press the dough into a ball, if the dough feels dry the warmth from your hands will begin to melt the butter again and eventually you will have smooth dough to roll.
6. Place the dough on the floured surface and begin rolling until 1/4″ thick, frequently turning the dough to avoid sticking to the counter. If the dough is sticking to the counter or your rolling pin, just add more flour. I had to sprinkle the top of the dough a couple times with a little flour as I was rolling.
7. Cut the cookie shapes, add to the baking sheet, sprinkle them with more sugar, and bake for 9 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes before using a spatula to place them on a plate.
Use parchment paper on your baking sheet to get a super soft and chewy cookie!
For a more “done” cookie you can increase the bake time to 10 minutes, but I love the super soft chewy the 9 minutes will get you!
Keywords: chewy sprinkle cookies