A green bean casserole without mushrooms! Crispy fresh green beans, flavorful onions, and a white wine cream sauce topped with garlic Parmesan Panko. This is the green bean casserole that needs to be on your Holiday table!
1 pound fresh green beans, ends trimmed then cut in half
2 medium white onions, sliced
4 tablespoons butter, divided (you’ll use 2 tablespoons to sauté the onions, then add the other 2 tablespoons to make a roux)
3 cloves of garlic, grated or minced
1 and 1/2 cups light cream
1/3 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup white wine, like a Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
For the Panko topping
3/4 cup Panko
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1. Blanch the prepared green beans by boiling them for 6 minutes, then immediately straining them into a bowl of ice water. Leave in the ice water bath for 1 minute, then strain again, remove any ice cubes, and place in a bowl until you’re ready to assemble the casserole.
2. To make the Panko topping, combine the melted butter, the Panko, garlic powder, and Parmesan cheese. Set aside.
3. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Make the cream sauce by melting 2 tablespoons of butter and adding the sliced onions. Cook on medium high for 20 minutes until browned, stirring occasionally. If they are starting to burn, reduce the heat. You want these to be a nice golden brown color.
4. Next, push the onions to one side of the pan and add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and stir until melted. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute.
5. Whisk in the 2 tablespoons of flour and cook for about 30 seconds before adding the cream and white wine. Cook until it simmers, then add the Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Cook for an additional 5-7 minutes until the sauce thickens. Then remove from heat.
6. To assemble to casserole, add the green beans into the pan with the cream sauce and stir until the green beans are completely coated in the sauce. Pour into a casserole baking dish, top with the Panko, then bake for 15 minutes.
Serve and enjoy!