This creamy vegetable pasta dish is loaded with roasted red peppers, and yellow squash, and zucchini! The Fontina cheese sauce makes it creamy and a crowd pleasing dinner!
2 and 1/2 cups dry penne pasta
1 zucchini, diced
1 red pepper, seeded and diced
1 yellow squash, diced
2 cloves garlic, grated
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 and 1/2 cups half & half
1/3 of the boiling pasta water reserved
8oz block of Fontina cheese, grated
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1. Heat the oven to 425 degrees. Pour all of the diced veggies onto a large baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and bake for 25 minutes.
2. While the veggies roast, bring a large pot of water to boil and cook pasta. Carefully reserve 1/3 cup of the boiling water for the cheese sauce.
3. While the pasta cooks, prepare the cheese sauce. First, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter and add in the grated garlic, cook for about 1 minute then add the 2 tablespoons of flour and whisk to combine. Slowly pour in the 1 and 1/2 cups of half & half and cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes until slightly bubbly. Season with the salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
4. Next, reduce heat to low and pour in all of the grated Fontina cheese. Whisk to melt the cheese into the sauce, adding in some of the reserved pasta water if the sauce needs to be thinned.
5. To assemble, pour the cooked penne into the cheese sauce, then add in the roasted veggies. Serve and enjoy!
I like to pour in the pasta to the sauce a little at a time, that way you can get the consistency you like of pasta-coated noodles. If you made too much pasta and add it all in at once you might not have enough sauce to cover the noodles.
Keywords: creamy vegetable pasta