A light and sweet soda bread recipe. Made with orange zest, dried cranberries, and topped with an orange butter
4 cups all purpose flour
4 tablespoons white sugar
1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
5 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces about half an inch big
1 and 3/4 cup buttermilk
2 and 1/2 tablespoons orange zest
1 cup dried cranberries
1. Heat oven to 375. Lightly spray your baking sheet with cooking spray so it doesn’t stick.
2. In a large bowl, combine the the flour, sugar, baking soda, orange zest and salt. Add the butter using a pastry cutter cut in the butter.
3. Lightly beat the egg and the buttermilk together in a medium bowl, then gently stir into the dry ingredients. Last, stir in the cranberries.
4. Flour your countertop and your hands. Dump the dough on the flour and lightly knead a few times until you get a round loaf. It will be very sticky at first so make sure you have enough flour so it doesn’t stick to your hands.
5. Place the loaf onto the baking sheet and cut an ‘X’ into the top with a serrated knife. Bake for 50-55 minutes. Allow to cool slightly until it’s safe to cut, then top with the Orange Honey Butter.
Keywords: orange cranberry soda bread