4 cups flour
4 tablespoons sugar
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 and 1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons cold butter, diced into small pieces
1 and 3/4 cups cold buttermilk, shaken
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 cup raisins
1. Heat oven to 375. Prepare a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray.
2. Combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Add the butter and use a pastry cutter or fork and blend until the butter is combined.
3. Lightly beat the egg in the buttermilk then pour into flour mixture. Mix the raisins in a tablespoon of flour and add into the dough.
4. Flour your counter-top and your hands. Dump the dough on the flour and lightly knead a few times until you get a round loaf. It will be very sticky at first so make sure you have enough flour so it doesn’t stick to your hands.
5. Place the loaf onto the baking sheet and cut an ‘X’ into the top with a serrated knife. Bake for 50-55 minutes, until a knife comes out clean.
Don’t substitute the buttermilk, it will help the bread rise!
Keywords: cinnamon raisin soda bread