The perfect blend of two desserts, Oreo cookie brownies combine fudgy brownie with cookie dough with crushed Oreos! Top with ice cream for the perfect brownie sundae!
For the Brownies
1 box of dark chocolate or fudge brownie mix
The eggs, oil, and water as call for on the brownie package. For this recipe, I used 1/4 cup of water, 1/2 cup of vegetable oil, and 2 eggs.
2 tablespoons molasses
For the Cookies
1/2 cup bread flour
3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons of all purpose flour
1 stick salted butter
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 and 1/4 cups of crushed Oreo cookies (I crushed 13 cookies exactly)
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Take your 8×8 or 9×9 baking dish grease or spray with cooking spray.
2. Prepare the brownies. In a larger bowl, add the brownie mix, eggs, water and oil. Stir to combine, then add the 2 tablespoons of molasses and stir until it’s mixed into the batter. Pour into the baking dish, then bake for 20 minutes.
3. While the brownies are baking, start to prepare the cookie dough. Begin by making brown butter. Place the stick of butter in a sauce pan or pot and melt. Once the butter is melted, turn the heat up to medium or medium high until the butter simmers and cook 4-5 minutes. Whisk constantly and keep an eye on this because butter can burn fast. You don’t want a roaring boil, you want a light bubbly simmer. What you’re doing is browning the milk proteins in the butter. You’ll notice it will get a rich nutty smell and the color will start to turn a caramel brown. I’ve found 4 minutes has worked well for me. Once browned, pour butter into a heat safe bowl and let it cool slightly.
4. While the butter is cooling, prepare the dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, add the bread flour and all purpose flour, baking soda, and salt. Whisk so everything is blended together. When the butter has cooled so that it isn’t hot anymore, pour into the bowl with the butter the vegetable oil, brown and white sugars, vanilla, and the egg.
5. Take your Oreo cookies and crush them, you can do this in a Ziploc bag, food processor, or I use my Nutribullet. You want a mix of fine powder and larger chunks of cookie. The chunks of cookie will add much needed texture and crunch!
6. To the bowl of the melted butter mix, pour in the flour mix and stir until everything is combine. Pour in the cookies, stir to combine.
7. When the brownies have baked for 20 minutes, remove them from the oven. Add the cookie dough in one even layer over top, see photo in the post above. Return to the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
You need to let the browned butter cool because if you add the egg while the butter is too hot you’ll scramble the egg!
Keywords: Oreo Cookie Brownies