Marsala cream sauce pasta is comfort food blend of a creamy marsala sauce with crispy fried mushrooms and peas. Enjoy the rich warm flavors of marsala wine!
3/4 box of thin spaghetti
8oz package of cremini mushrooms
1 10oz package of frozen peas, cooked
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
2 cloves garlic, grated
2 tablespoons flour
1 and 1/2 cups half & half
1/4 cup dry Marsala wine
1/2 cup of the boiling pasta water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1. Cook the peas.
2. In a small pan, heat the extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Slice the cremini mushrooms thin. Saute them for 9-10 minutes until crispy. The mushrooms will shrink up as they cook. I alternated between medium and medium high heat to get the level of crispiness I wanted. Spoon onto a paper towel on a plate, sprinkle with salt, then set aside until the rest of the dish is cooked.
3. Bring a pot of salted water to boil. Toss in your pasta and cook until desired texture. (I do 12 minutes.) Also, I fully admit I am terrible at measuring the right amount of pasta. I do 3/4 of a box and find this amount to be just right. Too much pasta and you won’t have enough sauce to coat it entirely.
4. In a large sauce pan, melt the butter. Using a zester, grate the garlic clove into the butter. Cook until the garlic gets lightly browned. Once the garlic has browned, add the flour and whisk to make a paste. Pour in the half & half, the 1/2 cup of boiling pasta water, and the Marsala wine and simmer until thickened. Add the Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. I like my cream sauces peppery. Give the sauce a taste and adjust as needed.
4. Let the sauce simmer as the pasta finishes cooking. Occasionally as the sauce thickens, add some additional boiling pasta water if needed. Do not add more cream to thin out a sauce, use the pasta water.
5. When the pasta and sauce have finished, add the cooked pasta to the sauce and stir to coat. Add in the peas and stir to combine. Top with the crispy fried mushrooms.
If you choose to buy the Marsala wine in the grocery store, you’ll need to use more to get the same flavor. The Marsala wine from the liquor store is much stronger so this recipe only needs to use 1/4 cup.