This morning I was very excited to hear that this weekend the temperature at night and early morning will be in the low 60’s/high 50’s!! Finally some more Fall like weather around here. I am so sick of the heat and humidity from this summer that this will really be a welcomed cooling. What I love about Charleston is that it stays mild well into December, but I really hate how that sticky summer weather lingers around until late September…enough already! Maybe this weekend I’ll actually feel like it’s appropriate to start baking with all the wonderful Fall ingredients!
A few weeks ago I was really wanting to make something like a Greek Taco. After doing a little research online, I cam across this recipe from Taste of Home. I’m a little picky with food so I knew I’d need to edit it a bit to fit our tastes, but it was a good starting point! I loved the flavor combinations of the Greek seasoned beef, feta cheese, spinach, cucumbers, and tzatziki sauce. My only recommendation is to stick to the 2 teaspoons of Greek seasoning…I added more since I thought I couldn’t taste it when I was cooking the beef and wow did I go overboard on that!
– 1 pound lean ground beef
– 2 teaspoons Greek seasoning
– 1/4 teaspoon pepper
– 1 cup cooked frozen spinach
– 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
– 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
– Soft taco shells
– 1/3 cup diced cucumbers for garnish
Ingredients- Tzatziki Sauce
– 8oz Greek yogurt
– 1 tablespoon EVOO
– 1 tablespoon lemon juice
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 teaspoon pepper
– 1 tablespoon fresh chopped dill
– 2 cloves pressed garlic
– 1/3 cup finely chopped cucumbers
1. To make the tzatziki, combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and set aside.
2. In a pan over medium heat, cook the ground beef until it is no longer pink. Add the pepper, cooked spinach, and Greek seasoning. Cook another 2-3 minutes.
3. Spoon beef mixture over soft taco shell, top with crumbled feta cheese, tzatziki sauce, and diced cucumbers.